Call meeting to order
Emily - Moby max refund came through, you also see the BWW lunch, and Walk-A-Thon check came through. Drama donation due to Suessical error from last year.
Miss Cole - A few parents and teachers have asked about the tippy stool, would we be able to get more? We will resend the link to the teachers so they can access the Google drive and get a request form. The date has been sent for science fair. There is some need for more chromebooks, or to replace the netbooks with the chromebooks.
What to spend Walk-A-Thon money on?
Upper el classes need some upgrades on the playground. What can we put in on the playground for them? Megan will look into some options other than climbers. We need to get a move on. If we look to replace the netbooks with some chromebooks, how many would we need? Most classroom has 4 or five netbooks. Maybe if we can replace some every year? Let’s look at replacing 2 for every classroom and then filling out the ipad cart so there is an even 30 for the cart.
Second roller rink party - This will happen in February. Amber Davis coordinated this.
Holiday shop - December 14 &15, Monday and Tuesday. Our order should arrive tomorrow. We ordered through the dollar store. Everything will be $1. We will need to request tables. Set up will take place Sunday evening. Can we give out an envelope for the students who don’t have money, so they are not pulled out seperately to shop? Or maybe if the teachers could make a list of those who may need assistance to shop? We did feed the high schoolers last year, and we can do that again. Check for meal restrictions with the high schoolers.
Teacher Christmas gifts - Amber has an idea!
Box Tops & Labels - Tanya - Octobers batch went in. We just sent in another batch. We are doing away with sending home the worksheets every week. Box top challenge is still in the works.
Standing desks - Deater and Mrs. Zocco have interest in purchasing standing desks. Some of the standing desks have stool options, and a fidget bar for their feet. Some have shelves or pockets. They usually run from $200-300 a piece. Could we try these out to see if these will work for some of our more active students? If we do two or three of these, we can reevaluate later to see if they work well. We could also get more of the hokki stools too.
Science Fair - February 23 will be the day! Ferris students do a small presentation, can we give the $20 per group to pay for their expenses?
Assembly - let’s get a science assembly going in February
Mr. Shewan - We need to get a move on some ideas for him. Let’s do a surprise assembly as well. Let’s do this starting in January, we talked about giving each grade a month to do something special. Give him a joke book, letting the kids write the jokes.
January 6 will be the next meeting!!
Anything on the report with a star is split with Brookside, lots of little things from Walkathon and Gaga Pit, etc.
Teacher report -
Mrs. Zocco - We have had a lot of great safety drills. Walkathon was a huge motivator for the kids, and everyone was really excited to monitor it in the classrooms. Some of the testing going on has been going really well.
Ms. Kent - Academic report - Drills have been going really well. Lockdown drills have gone over well. We had police on site for this. Everything went silent right away. We had a fire drill today, overseen by Mrs. Fox, which also went well. Everyone is getting really riled up to throw water balloons!!! There is a public safety team that is doing a mock child abduction that will be simulated at Brookside, the child being “abducted” is an officer's child. They have a specific procedure they will be following. In this situation, we would remain in lockdown but continue with classes. This is a great practice for them.
-Walkathon - was a GREAT success!! Friday is the last day for collections. We can change the time for deadlines. Our deadline will be midnight. $100 buckets will be filled on Tuesday. It was too disruptive to do this during the day. We can change this for next year. Everything will be done before the assembly on Thursday.
-We are in the middle of Tshirt sales, but it is going over well. We are selling the Tshirts at cost, meaning we are NOT making a profit. Deadline for orders is Friday.
-Ice machine - thank you Parks family
-Gaga pit - also a HUGE success
-Kindergarten went on a field trip to the apple orchards this week. We did cover the expenses for this.
-Homecoming - we bought a bubble machine for the float that we will use in the future. Elsa was fabulous.
-We are going to do a survey this year, it is already started. We will NOT consider changing companies, and we will do the walkathon again next year. Otherwise, we are looking for feedback about PTO and walkathon and what parents would prefer us to do with the money.
-Incentive run down - the lanyards are pretty much all handed out. We will have only one prize per student no matter how many times their names are drawn. We are having a little blip with Great Wolf, they did not donate so we will have to pay out of pocket for this. We are also having some push back from the roller rink, so we are going to approach them with another way. We can rent it for a specific day perhaps. Amber Davis is going to look into this for us and find out all the details.
-Halloween gift - we have given glow sticks or other things in the past. Do we want to do this this year? Let’s not, we are doing a lot of other small things, so let’s pass on this.
-Mobi Max - there is a lot of interest in this, so we will do this for $699 for the whole school.
-Movie night - the licensing company contacted us. We had a great turnout last year, let’s do it again this year. We are looking at Fri. Nov 6 and we want to show the movie “Inside Out” We do have concessions for this event as well. Angie Mishler can send an evite notice out to honor students, which was a great help with concessions.
-Wreath sales - can someone please take this over? Stefanya will take this over. Megan has done this in the past and can help out. We are NOT doing this as a money maker. We do this because of the demand. We charge just enough to cover the cost.
-Parent Teacher Conferences - We serve the teachers dinner. Jennifer Ames is going to take this over. We have 13 teachers, maybe plan to serve 15. We could also do a desert sign up.
-Box Tops - does anyone want to take over Box Tops from Amber? It requires collecting them, cutting them, sending them in, etc. Amber can still help. We make about $2000-$3000 a year off of this. We do have a deadline at the end of the month which will result in a check in December. Amber Davis and Tanya Parks will help with this.
-Holiday Shop - We did not like the Reindeer Lane company last year. Tanya has a contact with a company that does this. We may need to order stuff through catalogs, but we would need to move now if we went that route. The Dollar Store may be a great way to go. That way we can make everything just a dollar or two at most. We did check to make sure that we can resell these items last year. Emily has room to store. We can contact the dollar store people to see what kind of inventory they have and what our options are.
-Book Fair - Our theme is Monsters. This is our next big thing. It will be Oct. 28, Wednesday night, from 5-7pm. We need help serving the ice cream, tidying the book fair, selling books. We also have sign up times during the week. Amber will send out a link to show those who sign up how to use the register. It is super easy to use. If you volunteer you get 10% off. This is our smaller one, the spring one is bigger. We do get scholastic dollars that we get to choose items from a catalog with. We used these funds to buy lots of things for the classrooms. We spent $7700 in books and classroom stuff last year. We are considering setting up a table at our Book Fair night for everyone to pick up their loot from the Walk-a-thon and the Tshirt sale. We will still send items out to those who can’t attend. Can we do a wish list for book fair items too? We can send this home with the book fair letter, or have the teachers have the wish list for the students as they tour.
-Match Day - Tuesday, November 10 from 11-6. We bring in all of our money and since we are non-profit, you get a certain % of money back. Someone has to sit at the table all day and we have to decorate our table - the theme is Black & Silver. All of the non profits in the county are there and donations are made.
-Budget - We have started working on this. What we have so far is on the google drive, so look at it and see what you think. We are trying to develop it, but as of now, we don’t have a guideline. We want to spend the money. We want the kids that are in the building this year need to reap the rewards of what we have made from the walkathon. We spent around 85% last year, and we need to spend it on the kids.
-Thank yous to the corporate sponsors. Let’s have the kids make some!
-Mr. Shewan - our custodian will be leaving after this year. We missed custodial appreciation day!! We want to do some fun things to show our appreciation for everything he does in the school. We could make a movie. We could give each classroom a month. Maybe a flash mob, or the marching band at the end of the year.
-Still working on incentives
-Brookside never came through with meals from BWW & Wendys
-Lunch with Ms. Kent - 18 kids - ride Dial-A-Ride $2 /student - inexpensive kids meals at BWW , have Big Red come and collect the kids, Nov. 19
-Homecoming also successful
-Box Tops - $1,800 coming Dec!!
-Book Fair - 500 less than this time last year, still good. We bought about 1000 in books for teachers/library
-Smencils - went over well, a little confusing having it next to the Book Fair
-Sucker questions? - some new laws to consider - regulations on snacks and etc. during school hours
-Change the dance party - make it bigger and better
-Definitely want to keep it inside - expand hours
-Keep it mostly the same, but a little bigger and better
-Keep it to the first Saturday in October
-Need to keep the momentum going into the second year
-Want to keep the parents in the know about what we want to do with the money raised from the walk-a-thon
-Hype up the prizes that were earned this year
-We don’t want to lose momentum going into the second year!!!
-Try to grow with incentives
-Will need to revamp our corporate letters and price points for next year
-Match Day - need people to cover 10-6. Takes place on November 11. takes place in a ballroom at the Holiday Inn. Miracle in Mecosta theme.
-Biggby night - November 10th. 4-7pm Coupons to pass out. Can also share on social media to spread the word.
- Movie Night - November 21 - show Mr. Peabody & Sherman - info to go out on Friday the 18th. To start at 6:30pm
-Holiday shop - Dec. 16-18 - same process as before. Will need people to man the shop througout the day. Want to sponsor those who cannot afford to shop.
-Wreath sales kicked off last week.
-Tyson chicken - 24 cents/label. Jar to collect labels will be in the office.
Want to send out an email to keep everyone informed as far as boxtops/labels/tyson/shoparoo. Have envelopes attached to the bulletin board so it is easy to have parents drop them.
-Grant writing team - Erin & Dave - working on grant writing to benefit the school.
-Recycle week - sometime in the spring to do a recycle week which could include funding factory, crayola, and smencils. Milk jugs in April. Some kind of treat reward with that. Have buckets for each in the school. Put up fun facts about recycling to put up on the board.
-March is reading month. Will also have book fair that month as well.
-Riverview Rocks shirt in the spring? Trophy & shirts place said he would donate shirts to class with the winning design. Perhaps doing shirts again in the fall. Put out a last call for T-shirt orders again as well.
-Back to Walk-a-Thon. Make it bigger!!
-Chrome books are a hot item around the school. Small laptop that runs the reflex math, reading and etc. Teachers use them all time.
-Put out a notice for Art volunteers?? Several parents may be able/willing to
volunteer for art time.
-The playground flooding issue should hopefully be covered by the sinking fund.
-We want to use the money for something visible, so everyone can see where the money goes.
-Gaga pit? Pictures of kids in the halls?
Next Meeting December 3rd @ 6:30!
1. Call meeting to order
2. Approval of last meeting minutes. Great job Steph!
3. Principal report
4. Teacher report
5. Treasurer report
6. Old business:
a. Google drive, website, and FB all up and working very well!
b. Teacher gifts went very well! Paired with scholastic gift. Yay!
c. Shirt sales going very well. Leslie?
d. Kindergarten field trip approval.
e. Walk-A-Thon update.
f. Jak's day - October 9th
7. New business:
a. Walk-A-Thon updates
b. Match day. Nov 11th
c. Homecoming updates- theme is genres of music
d. Box tops - Amber
e. Scholastic conversation - Amber
f. Aunt Millie's
g. Labels for education - Becky
h. Movie nights - Mandy
I. Qdoba and Bigby fundraisers - Stephanie
j. Smencils - Angie
k. Gaga Ball?
Next meeting November 5th @ 6:30pm
1. Call meeting to order
2. There are no minutes from the last meeting, but this is changing. Meet our new secretary Stephanie Trouba!
3. Principal Report
4. Teacher Report
5. Treasurer Report:
a. Changes to the “system”
6. Old Business:
a. Open house review
7. New business:
a. Utilizing the website more.
b. Utilizing google drive.
c. New forms/”rules”
i. Money form
ii. Field trip request form
iii. Teacher/Parent request form
d. Box Tops - Amber
e. Scholastic conversation - Amber
f. Labels for education - Anyone?
g. Tshirt Sales - Leslie
h. Movie nights - Mandy
i. Assemblies - “I love this school” Sept 4th, Tuba Bach?
j. Qdoba and Biggby fundraisers - Anyone?
i. Need sign up for float committee and spirit week organization
l. Match Day
i. Volunteers to sit at table (I know it’s early)
m. Teacher Supplies
i. Changes this year.
Next meeting October 1st 6:30pm