Treasure report - Mandy - Most expenses lately has been the PE equipment Field Trips.
Teacher report - No representative present
Principal report - Academics reporting -
Field Trips went well and everyone is very thankful for them. Teachers loved teacher appreciation as well. Some suggestions for next year - more communication for chaperones - ALL chaperones should be paid for by PTO, can they buy a sack lunch (maybe PTO can pay), make sure they know NOT to buy anything extra for kids (including extra food treats, gifts, additional features of the field trip that is not included for all kids).
Clap out- went well and great feedback.
Fitness Day - kids always love this day and is a huge hit.
Teacher/Para Day - We heard lots of positive! Great work!
Box tops - Maggie - Nothing new, picking and sending in last minute box tops tomorrow. Everything will be turned over to Katie for next year.
Shop-A-Roo - Katie - NA
Labels - Becky - NA
Music - we approved $1,000 for Mrs. Lamar to purchase some new instruments that will stay at Riverview. Approved - additional $300 for extra music materials. Mrs. Lamar is very appreciative.
Summer Walk-A-Thon meeting- Will be the last wednesday of the month for June and July - June 28th at Vivos - 6:30. Emily is inviting Brookside
Kick off will be 4 weeks prior to event. September 8?
Send out FAQ document with walk information.
What will we do to Ms. Kent this year? Come up with 3 or 4 options and let the kids decide.
Looking at possibly October 7th for the event - Mandy is checking on HS availability.
Could we have registration available at open house?
We may do individual school incentives this year and no food incentives (lunch with the principal is a big hit).
Discussed theme - thinking “Step Up” maybe give away pedometer for students hitting a goal.
Flyer about PTO spending-
We made $36,000 from the walk a thon, $23,000 was spent and another $8,000 will go to savings.
Will go home at the beginning of next year.
Will go on the door and sent via email.
Open house - August 23rd from 4-6
We will need volunteers to work open house.
Cooley attended a meeting at the salvation army - they are starting a “tools for schools” campaign and want to give away backpacks filled with school supplies at the open house.
We need volunteers to man the salvation army table where people can register for a backpack.
Teacher report from Mrs. Orange-- Box Tops and Labels? Same as last year? Competition between classes not preferable to classroom goals.
Principal report from Ms. Kent --Good first day. Asking for advanced notification for changes in pick-up at end of day. Add to facebook and email list about getting notifications. Assembly tomorrow. Music performer Billy Craig. Practice run for assembly today. Trying to stress structures and order. Enrollment at about 351. Well staffed, though lots of staff changes. Check with teachers about volunteering in classes.
Treasurer report--Emily and Amber will work together as the treasurer to keep things simple. PTO Money request form which is on the Google drive. Will put the Google drive info on facebook.
Successful Open House --Field trip request form. Stopped using in 2012. Emily revamped the form to have them available to teachers.
Amber in charge of Box Tops. Keeping it goal oriented. Will give monthly reports. Made about $3500 last year. Hoping to make $3700-4000 this year. Angie proposing -Lego first league and PTO 50/50 split through Ferris. Box Tops cut checks twice a year. One in late fall and one in spring. Labels for education gives points towards items in catalog rather than checks. Box Tops questions go to Amber
Scholastic Book Fair - Oct. 20-24. We could push it back to the next week due to close proximity to the walk-a-thon. That would push it into Halloween week. Book fair pushed to the week of Halloween and incorporate it into a “themed” night. Book fair in the library again this year. Have teachers stop their classes library time during the book fair week. Start book fair Oct 27 and down the 31. Amber to close up on Saturday, Nov. 1. Mrs. Orange suggests a letter to the teachers to prepare them for the library being closed that week. Math night paired with the book fair, to take place Wed. Oct. 29. Math night to begin at 5:30 and run till 7:30. Ice cream novelties to be served. Book fair volunteers will need to have a training session before the book fair.
We have approximately $4100 in the scholastics account. We have around $650 that will expire at the end of September. There are lots of options of what to spend on, not just books. Need a small cushion of money left in the account - approximately $1000-$1500. Can we divide the money between the teachers and let them each determine how to use it? 13 classrooms. Short supply of books for Kindergartners. Use the $680 for K books and divide the rest between the classes.
Becky to take over the Labels for education. Angie has access to students who need volunteer hours that can help glue labels. Can ask parents to separate labels and box tops.
Leslie has coordinated the Tshirt sales. Order forms will be sent home.
Movie Nights - Are we continuing this? The license is $394. Did not have good turn out last year, but we are going to try again this year and make it bigger and better. Sell the suckers and concessions for profit. When do we want to host this?
Assemblies - Tuba Bach assembly
Qdoba and Biggby fundraisers - Brookside hosts these events once a month and do really well with it. Buffalo Wild Wings also. Jets Pizza will be eliminated due to low interest.
Homecoming - Sign up for the committee. Oct. 17th is the parade.
Match Day - Need volunteers to sit at tables. Takes place in November. Takes place during the day in the week.
Teacher Supplies - Have given $100 to teachers in the past. We will continue that and include the specials.
Sucker sales - Amber volunteers to come in and sell the suckers during the week.
Walk-a-thon - Will take place Oct. 18. Watch the video. It is all rolled and should be pretty easy once we get set up. We can make the event what we want. We are pairing with Brookside with this to make it a Big Rapids elementary event. Will have music, mascots etc. Online minimum donation is $10. Hoping for every student to get $40. Trying to get just one major event for the year, so make it big. Website and database set up now. Will start taking pledges as soon as we are totally prepared. Will send out around 150 corporate sponsor letters as well.
Next meeting will be Oct. 1. Meetings will continue each month on the first Wednesday of the month at 6:30. Will need someone with a key to lock the building at the next meeting.
Will send out a monthly newsletter at the end of each month. Collect and make a database of parents who are willing to help with PTO and functions.